The Office of Information Technologies (OIT) launched a campus-wide initiative to replace Notre Dame’s network file storage system, including NetFile, to more advanced systems that offer greater resilience and features.
The University’s teaching, learning and research initiatives continue to advance, and so has file storage requirements of students, faculty and staff including:
- More storage space
- Ability to collaborate globally
- Reliable access to files on a multitude of devices
After considering many storage options, OIT storage administrators identified two storage options we already have to meet these needs: Google Drive and Box. They are both easily accessible, offer unlimited storage space, and provide a high-level of security.
The deadline for moving your individual and departmental files from NetFile to either Google Drive or Box is Tuesday, July 31. At this time, there are some things you can do in advance of that date to prepare for the move.
- Review your files now before migrating them. If you have files in NetFile, follow these tips to prepare for migrating your files. Check your departmental guidelines regarding file storage before you begin.
- Individual NetFile Space: Take time to review your files. Keep the files you need and delete the ones you don’t so you only migrate what you need.
- Departmental NetFile Space: Meet with your collaborators to determine which files you want to maintain and which storage solution would best fit your team’s needs.
If you need help accessing your files in NetFile, you can follow these instructions.
- Attend NetFile Information Sessions. You are invited to attend an informative session focusing on the hows-and-whys of moving your files from NetFile to Google Drive or Box. Sessions are scheduled for:
- Wed., Feb. 28, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m., 138 Corbett Family Hall (ND Studios)
- Thurs., March 8, 11:00 a.m. – noon, 200 Main Building
- Wed., March 14, 10:30 – 11:30 am, Giovanini Commons Mendoza
- Thurs., March 22, 1:30-2:30 pm, McNeill Room, LaFortune Student Center
A question-and-answer period will follow the presentation. Registration is not required. Additional sessions coming soon.
- Additional resources are available to help you choose your preferred file storage location: Google Drive or Box. For an overview of these options, you can find more information and access Quick Reference Guides here.
The OIT is committed to helping you successfully transition your files to a storage solution that meets your needs and University standards. In the coming months, the OIT will provide a tool to help you easily move your files.
Watch for additional information including tips and updates on the next steps to prepare for this transition.
Originally published by oit.nd.edu on February 23, 2018.at